Lost password

HomeElementary and Secondary School

Adult Education, Elementary and Secondary School...

US Citizen (child) & Taiwanese Citizen (mother) 

Posts: 1

Posted On: 5/21/2015
My second cousin wants to send her daughter to a Waldorf school in Ontario. Her daughter is a US citizen; however, she is not (from Taiwan). This relates to immigration as well. What processes does she need to go through in order for her daughter (accompanied by her) to attend school in Ontario?

She was also wondering about her daughter attending public school in Ontario.
Posts: 3700

Posted On: 5/26/2015
Posts: 3700

Thank you for sharing this situation and question with us.

You can find some information regarding Minor Children Studying in Canada on the the CIC Website.

Here is an excerpt,

In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:

-minor children attending kindergarten;
-minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
-minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.

When minor children studying in Canada without a permit reach the age of majority (turn 18 or 19 depending on the province or territory), they must apply for a permit if they want to continue studying.

She may also want to contact the school she is interested in directly.

To attend public school in Ontario, she may be required to pay tuition fees.

She should contact the school board of the public school that she is interested in sending her daughter to for more details.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Settlement.Org Content and Information/Referral Specialist, CIRS