Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

My Children's OHIP has been Cancelled 

blrobbins
blrobbins

Posted On: 9/20/2015
blrobbins
blrobbins
My wife is Canadian, I am Australian and my 2 kids were born in Australia but have lived in Canada for 2 years. We just received a letter stating our kids OHIP has been cancelled due to non citizenship.

We had filled out all the forms but hadn't sent them through as we never received a record of Landing when we arrived here. In fact my little one doesn't even have any stamps in her passport. We have been to service ontario and tried ringing immigration and we get the run around everywhere we go.

We have health through my wife work but we need OHIP. Any recommendations?

Any info is appreciated

Thanks

Brad
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 9/20/2015
MelM
MelM
Assuming your wife was born in Canada - your children are Canadian citizens. What paperwork did you complete to confirm this status? Anything? If not - that's your problem. You need to apply for proof of citizenship for both of your children. Details are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

I don't think you'll be able to restore their OHIP until you complete this process. Proof of citizenship takes several months to process - so submit the application as soon as you can. Unless there's info you haven't provided, right now your children are technically just visitors to Canada. Visitors don't qualify for OHIP. You're lucky they were ever given OHIP at all (they shouldn't have been).

What is your status in Canada? I assume you are a permanent resident and that you were sponsored for PR by your wife?

If there are any additional details you didn't provide in your original post - it may change the answer.
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 9/21/2015
MelM
MelM
Just to add - assuming your wife was born in Canada, the record of landing isn't needed to apply for proof of citizenship for both of your children. In fact, ideally you should have submitted this application well before you came to Canada.
link