Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLiving in Ontario

Post information about settling and living in your city in Ontario.

Traveling with a PR but no OHIP for Pregnancy 

Shahenshah
Shahenshah

Posted On: 11/11/2015
Shahenshah
Shahenshah
Hello,

I have received my PR along with my family in Feb 2015, we had to travel back home for few medical issues. I am planning to start for Canada in first quarter of next year, and my family will travel a few months later.

Since we are new, I believe there will be a 3 months waiting period for OHIP to cover our medical expenses. My wife is carrying and if her delivery date comes even before her OHIP card arrives, what options do I have. I have been through a few forum discussions here and learnt that I may have to opt for Supplementary Health Insurance plans, but what I could not figure out was whether or not it covers Pregnancy cases including delivery at the hospitals.

I would appreciate if you could share other available options to have a hassle free delivery. If not, what would be the procedure to travel with the new born after delivery? How do we get his/her PR processed? Will he/she need to travel as a visitor and later process their PR in Canada?

Many thanks in advance,
Hussain
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 11/11/2015
MelM
MelM
Yes - you will have a three months waiting period before your family qualifies for OHIP. There are private insurance policies that cover some of the costs of pregnancy. However they have to be purchased before a person is pregnant - so unfortunately it is too late to purchase any coverage for your wife. This means you will have to pay for all costs related to the delivery in Canada out of your own pocket. One way to reduce costs is to have the baby at home with the assistance of a midwife (rather than at a hospital).

If you decide to have the baby in your home country, you will have to sponsor your baby for PR. This can only be done from within Canada. You can apply for a TRV (or even a TRP) to bring your new baby to Canada and apply together from there. If the TRV/TRP is refused, either you or your wife will have to return to Canada alone to sponsor the baby - while the other parent remains with the baby in your home country to wait for the PR application to be processed.
link
Shahenshah
Shahenshah

Posted On: 11/23/2015
Shahenshah
Shahenshah
Thanks , that cleared the air.
link