Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

Proof of Funds and Initial Health Insurance 

paras301
paras301

Posted On: 11/25/2015
paras301
paras301
Hi,

We (my family) are planning to arrive in Canada as a COPR coming March. I need help on two queries immediately:

1. Proof of funds:

I read the information provided here - http://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/landing-and-leaving/landing-in-canada/how-do-i-bring-money-into-canada-proof-of-funds/

I got to know from here that:

You can bring money into Canada in the form of:

Cash
Securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills)
Negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example, bank drafts, cheques, travellers' cheques, money orders)
Transfer of funds between your bank and a Canadian bank

My question here is, during my CIIP MAP session, I asked from CIIP officer if I can bring a letter from my Indian bank stating how much funds I have in my account and the corresponding linked debit card - which has access to all international (including Canadian) ATMs, will that be okay? Though CIIP officer responded in affirmation, but can you please clarify this as well?

I am planning to use my debit card for initial expenses.

2. Initial 3 months health insurance:

While booking my tickets, my travel agent told me that travel insurance can be bought which includes medical coverage for as much as 6 months. Will that be sufficient to for initial health insurance till I get my OHIP card?

Regards,
Paras
link
KSDL
KSDL

Posted On: 11/30/2015
KSDL
KSDL
I think you need to bring a bank draft as a proof of fund. That's what I did when I landed. Yes, you can buy travel insurance after you arrived here. It takes 3 months to get OHIP card, so you will need to buy for the first three months before you get health card.
link