Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Can I Sponsor an Adult Sibling with a Disability? 

Susanlol
Susanlol

Posted On: 12/23/2015
Susanlol
Susanlol
Am I able to sponsor an adult mentally disabled sibling? My parents are getting older and will not be able to take care of her forever, she is quite vulnerable and I worry about what will happen to her when they are no longer around to care for her...
I Am a canadian citizen and I do have a spouse and children In canada so I'm not alone, but wondering of there is a humanitarian compassionate clause or other way to process the application... I would be willing to provide for her.

Swl
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 12/23/2015
MelM
MelM
Unfortunately sponsorship isn't possible. There are a number of barriers. First of all, you don't qualify to sponsor your sibling if your parents are still alive and if you have any other family members in Canada (your spouse and children). Secondly, even if you were single and were able to sponsor your sibling, there's a high chance the sponsorship process would be refused since it's quite likely CIC would decide that your sibling would place a burden on Canada's health care and social care systems.

H&C is only an option if the individual is already in Canada. So unfortunately not an option for your sibling.
link