Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Ohip Coverage for Long Term Absence and Pregnant 

Jenni1111
Jenni1111

Posted On: 1/4/2016
Jenni1111
Jenni1111
Hello, I'm a Canadian citizen that was living in Toronto a year and a half ago and moved to Singapore because of my husbands work.
I was not aware at the time that to confirm continuation of OHIP for long term absence I had to call and visit with a document to explain my absence even if I meet the requirement of having lived in Ontario for two consecutive years prior to the absence (was definitely in Ontario past the required number of days per year). I will be returning to Toronto this February, four months pregnant, and I am scared that because I failed to call and inform OHIP before departure I will have to wait three months to be eligible for OHIP coverage. I wanted continuous prenatal healthcare for my baby.

Is it possible to continue my health care either by calling as soon as I return or because I have met the required conditions do I even need to request a review? (As in can I use my OHIP upon arrival?) Or will I have a gap of health care for the three months? What are my options? Thank you so much.
link
MelM
MelM

MelM
MelM
Were you physically in Canada for at least 153 days out of the last 12 months? You need to meet this residency requirement in order to keep OHIP coverage without interruption. If you've been out of Canada for a year and a half straight, you are no longer covered by OHIP and will have to go through the three month waiting period to qualify under the program again.
link
Jenni1111
Jenni1111

Jenni1111
Jenni1111

Were you physically in Canada for at least 153 days out of the last 12 months? You need to meet this residency requirement in order to keep OHIP coverage without interruption. If you've been out of Canada for a year and a half straight, you are no longer covered by OHIP and will have to go through the three month waiting period to qualify under the program again.

This is the excerpt I found on ontario health government website and that is why I am asking the question to begin with:

Other Types of Absences

You may also be eligible for continuous OHIP coverage during a longer absence when you are away from Ontario for vacation or other reasons for up to 2-years at a time which may be taken as a full two-year absence or as two one-year absences.

To be eligible for continuous OHIP coverage during your first absence of this type, you must typically be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in each of the 2 consecutive years before the absence.

So I believe I should still be covered and my question is because I didn't call at the beginning of my absence as requested further down this page:

local ServiceOntario centre to confirm your eligibility during any absence before you leave Ontario. Go to ServiceOntario.ca/findservices to find the centre nearest you.

THAT is why I am worried. If Canadians are allowed to take up to two full years of straight absence for reasons including vacationing, I technically should be allowed to keep my OHIP (it isn't even expiring for another two years) but because I didn't make this call I was worried.
link