Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

Visitor Record same as TRV? 

sunil555
sunil555

Posted On: 1/8/2016
sunil555
sunil555
Hello,

I currently reside in BC. I have a Indian passport with valid co-op work permit.

My daughter is 9 years old and holds a US passport. We crosed the border and came back into Canada on Jan3rd and she got a Jan3rd stamp on her passport.

I am going to apply for PGWP this month end. The border agent told us that she needs to apply for a Visitor record if she plans to stay in country for more than 6 months.

Is Visitor record same as TRV. Online i cant see any mention of Visitor record. Can someone help
Thanks

Sunil S
link
Brenda Jagpal
Brenda Jagpal

Posted On: 1/9/2016
Brenda Jagpal
Brenda Jagpal

TRV - is a visa that is required to show up at the door steps of Canada. It is like a "ticket" that expires as soon as you arrive at the airport. Indian nations need to get visa to come to Canada while US citizens do not.

Visitor Record - is a document that sets out the conditions of the temporary vistior status.

Students have study permit, Workers have work permit and visitors have "TRV" or Visitor record.

I am only a student of Immigraiton Consulting course so not qualified to give a legal opinion. This is just based on what I have learned so far. If you need more information, I can connect you with someone who is qualified to guide you.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/9/2016
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello,

I currently reside in BC. I have a Indian passport with valid co-op work permit.

My daughter is 9 years old and holds a US passport. We crosed the border and came back into Canada on Jan3rd and she got a Jan3rd stamp on her passport.

I am going to apply for PGWP this month end. The border agent told us that she needs to apply for a Visitor record if she plans to stay in country for more than 6 months.

Is Visitor record same as TRV. Online i cant see any mention of Visitor record. Can someone help
Thanks

Sunil S

1. No, a TRV is for Non visa exempt persons to enter Canada, a visitor record allows them to remain in Canada.
2. She would need to extend as a visitor : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

PMM
link