Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

Do I have to fly directly from my country? 

feelinggrateful
feelinggrateful

Posted On: 1/18/2016
feelinggrateful
feelinggrateful
Hi, I got the COPR for my family and am planning to make my first landing in Toronto as part of my family trip to New York. Basically I plan to fly from HK (where i'm currently living) to NY, stay for a few days, and fly to Toronto (perhaps Pearson airport), stay for about a week, and then fly back to NY and then HK. (I will also leave an address for my relative in Toronto to receive the PR card.) Wonder if my plan makes sense or not. For instance, do I have to fly from HK directly to Toronto for the purpose of first landing? A thousand thanks in advance for some advice please, as I will have to confirm the air tickets shortly.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/19/2016
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi, I got the COPR for my family and am planning to make my first landing in Toronto as part of my family trip to New York. Basically I plan to fly from HK (where i'm currently living) to NY, stay for a few days, and fly to Toronto (perhaps Pearson airport), stay for about a week, and then fly back to NY and then HK. (I will also leave an address for my relative in Toronto to receive the PR card.) Wonder if my plan makes sense or not. For instance, do I have to fly from HK directly to Toronto for the purpose of first landing? A thousand thanks in advance for some advice please, as I will have to confirm the air tickets shortly.

1. There is no requirement to fly directly to Canada to "land"

PMM
link
feelinggrateful
feelinggrateful

Posted On: 1/20/2016
feelinggrateful
feelinggrateful
Many thanks PMM. May I also ask if I must choose the Pearson Airport for landing purpose, or if just any airport in Toronto will do? I am asking this just to play safe, as I will most likely choose flights that arrive at the Pearson airport if at all possible. Thanks in advance again.

Hi

PMM
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/20/2016
PMM
PMM
Hi

Many thanks PMM. May I also ask if I must choose the Pearson Airport for landing purpose, or if just any airport in Toronto will do? I am asking this just to play safe, as I will most likely choose flights that arrive at the Pearson airport if at all possible. Thanks in advance again.

Hi

PMM

1. Since Pearson probably receive over 95% of the international traffic, compared to Billy Bishop airport.

PMM
link