Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

OHIP eligibility being under review 

Lisa S.
Lisa S.

Posted On: 2/5/2016
Lisa S.
Lisa S.
MY OHIP eligibility is being under review by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. I have to provide documents from 4 categories: 1) One Original Citizenship or Immigration Documents, 2) Original Residency Documents, 3) Original Physical Presence Documents in YOUR NAME ONLY, 4) Original Identity Documents with name and signature.

My problem is this -- for category #2, I don't have any of the documents required (they are: income tax assessment, insurance policy, mortgage/rental/lease agreement, property tax bill, driver's license, child tax benefit statement, GST credit notice, Ontario Trillium Benefit Notice, Residential Telephone bill, Utility bill, CPP statement of contributions.

I live with my parents and they pay all the bills. I don't have a driver's license.

For the income tax assessment and GST credit notice, I have some old ones from 2-3 years ago -- would they be too old?

The letter I received says "You are responsible for establishing your entitlement in Ontario health insurance coverage from August 2015."

Second question: for Category #4 (Original Identity Documents), would a debit card with my signature be OK? I don't have a credit card.j

Third question: what exactly is a "current employee ID"? Is this a badge with my photo on it? or a piece of paper that says I work for the company?

Please answer as soon as possible, as I only have 30 days to clear this up!
link
TrueCanadian
TrueCanadian

Posted On: 2/6/2016
TrueCanadian
TrueCanadian
@Lisa,
The list of documents depends on your residency status in Canada and also in Ontario.
Please check the document list given by OHIP at
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/FormDetail?openform&ENV=WWE&NO=014-9998E-82
and choose what is applicable in your case.
Suggestion about income tax assessment and GST credit notice - You are legally supposed to file an income tax return as soon as you are over 18 years. Create an account with CRA online, complete your return for 2015, even if it is ZERO. The proof acceptable is only for latest financial year (as it seems you did not file for 2014 otherwise there would be an assessment order in your name). You can submit the printout of your return from the CRA site.
About telephone bill - You need to talk to your parents and also to the service provider for changing a post paid cell phone connection to your name, for which they usually charge $50, onetime.
Driver's licence - You can take the test immediately and usually the Photo Card will arrive at your home in 3-4 weeks. The temp paper license for G1 is not accepted.
Credit Card - Since you mentioned about current employee id, it is interpreted yourself as employed. Hence my suggestion to you is to walk into your bank where the payroll is deposited and demand for instant credit card approval. I personally has good and very recent experience with RBC where the process took just under 3 minutes and the card is in my residence on 5th calendar day for my son who has applied as soon as he hit 18.
Since you are already above 18, may I recommend you to spend sometime online and hunt for a bargain for a best rate for your Life Insurance? The Life Insurance policy is also accepted as a proof of residency.

A clarification regarding Employee Id : Government will accept only the Employee Photo Id (with Photo, Emp Id no and contact info of the issuer) issued by either Government corporations or well known and registered private corporations (discretionary). I can suggest that your attested identification with photo, payroll id, since when you are working (and continuing as on date), recorded residence address etc on the company letter head with contact details can also be accepted in lieu of the above id (again discretionary).

*** I do not work for Government / Any public or private agency ***

All the best!
link