Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Am I still a Permanent Resident? 

Ft9cena
Ft9cena

Posted On: 3/13/2016
Ft9cena
Ft9cena
My family and I got our permanent residency cards in 2007 and it expired in 2012. We did not meet the requirement of staying in Canada for 2 years and we are currently not in Canada. My question is, I am now 18 years old and I want to return to Canada when I am 19 to go university and also live and settle there. Am I still a permanent resident although my card expired 4 years ago? What steps do I need to take a get renew my permanent residency card and return to Canada to complete my 2 years.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/14/2016
PMM
PMM
HI

My family and I got our permanent residency cards in 2007 and it expired in 2012. We did not meet the requirement of staying in Canada for 2 years and we are currently not in Canada. My question is, I am now 18 years old and I want to return to Canada when I am 19 to go university and also live and settle there. Am I still a permanent resident although my card expired 4 years ago? What steps do I need to take a get renew my permanent residency card and return to Canada to complete my 2 years.

1. You are still a PR although you haven't met your RO. So you would have to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document under Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds. These H.& C grounds would be that you were removed by your parents from Canada as a minor and you are now applying to return at the first opportunity as an adult.
2. The longer you leave it to apply after the age of 18/19 the less chance of being successful.

PMM
link
Ft9cena
Ft9cena

Posted On: 3/14/2016
Ft9cena
Ft9cena

HI

1. You are still a PR although you haven't met your RO. So you would have to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document under Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds. These H.& C grounds would be that you were removed by your parents from Canada as a minor and you are now applying to return at the first opportunity as an adult.
2. The longer you leave it to apply after the age of 18/19 the less chance of being successful.

PMM

Thanks for the reply. I will be 18 this September. Do I need the PR travel document before I travel to Canada? What's the success rate of getting back my PR card under such circumstances. If successful, how long would it take for me be allowed to go to Canada and stay for the years that needs to be fulfilled. I fulfilled 5 months out of the 2 years needed, in a 5 year PR card. I will apply as soon as I am 18.
link