Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

No OHIP. Pregnant. Applying for PR Inland. 

bushpileit
bushpileit

Posted On: 4/12/2016
bushpileit
bushpileit
Hi there,

So I've been going over the forum and seeing some responses.

I am canadian. My pregnant wife is applying for PR inside Canada. Applied in Aug 2015 so I don't think we will get approval in principal by the time she gives birth which is November 2016. We have applied for her Open Work Permit which is scheduled to arrive May 9th 2016 by the processing numbers.

Now I am being told from the SERVICE ONTARIO desk person that she can get OHIP if she provides a letter from an employer who she has worked for for 3 months minimum and stating that she is expected to work for the next 6 months after that.

And then I ask through e-mail if she is eligible and I get this.

If you are applying for Ontario health insurance coverage as an Applicant for Permanent Residence, you are required to present written confirmation from Immigration, Refugees and Canadian Citizenship Canada Canada (IRCC) that you are eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada, which may be one of the following:

* IRCC Confirmation Letter – letter on RICC letterhead addressed to the Applicant for Permanent Residence that confirms that the applicant is eligible to apply for permanent residency in Canada;

* RICC Immigration document such as a Work Permit, Visitor Record, Temporary Resident Permit or Study Permit with note in the "Remarks Section" that indicates that you have applied for permanent residence; or

* A Work Permit case type 27, which are issued solely to individuals who have applied for permanent residence within Canada.

So once she gets a job for 3 months, that means she is eligible for insurance regardless if she works after she gives birth? Or does insurance just stop when she has to stop working to give birth?

As far as I can see, so long as she works once she gets her work permit (which is in May), she will be covered for OHIP by August, to give birth in November.

This seems to be my only option unless someone can see something else.

Thanks a bunch
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 4/12/2016
MelM
MelM
Unfortunately we have seen OHIP refuse many applicants who have an OWP as a result of the OWP spousal sponsorship pilot but don't yet have AIP. OHIP has been demanding that applicants have AIP before coverage is approved. Having said that - some people have gotten lucky. So by all means try. Also, if you are refused - you can try appealing. I would have a "plan B" in place in the event you cannot get OHIP coverage. One way to reduce the costs you have to pay is to have a home birth with the assistance of a midwife. Good luck.
link