Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLiving in Ontario

Post information about settling and living in your city in Ontario.

Question about Landlord Selling the Home 

Ovax
Ovax

Posted On: 2/15/2017
Ovax
Ovax
Last night our Landlord accepted an offer on his home. This morning (15th of Feb.) he sent an email saying we must leave by the 15th of April and that is our 2 months notice. (Our rent is paid on the first of the month, so this seems odd.)

I just spoke with his real estate agent and he said the closing is on the 15th of April. Can our Landlord request us to leave before the new owner has taken possession of the home?
link

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your situation with us.

You cannot be evicted from your home because your landlord has sold the property, unless the new owners or their family are planning to live in the property themselves. Your landlord is responsible for issuing you a written eviction notice that clearly states this as the purpose of your eviction.

Unless the new owners or their family are moving in, the new owners must respect the terms of the lease you signed with the current owner, including the price of rent and all other costs.

If the new owners or their family are moving in, they must give you 60 days notice from the end of the month, not mid-way through the month. Your move out date would be April 30th, not April 15th. But this is ONLY if the new owners or their family plan to move into your home. April 15th only represents the day when ownership changes and should not affect you.

It is illegal for a landlord to lie to a tenant for the reason they are evicted them.

You may want to call the Federation of Metro Tenants’ Associations 416-921-9494 to better understand your situation.

You may also want to contact the Landlord and Tenant Board to learn more about your rights or file a complaint against your landlord. http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/ltb/

I hope that information was useful.

- Your Settlement.org team
link
Ovax
Ovax

Ovax
Ovax
Thank you for your help. It seems there is a family moving in. I don't expect to be able to stay here, I just want to know my options and rights.
Does an email count as written notice?
It's good to know that we don't have to leave in the middle of the month. I will call the number you provided.
link

Posted On: 2/16/2017
Hi there,

I'm glad the information provided was useful.

According to Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO)'s Steps to Justice website,
Your landlord can give you the notice in a number of ways, for example, by mailing it, putting it in your mailbox, or handing it to you.

You may also find the resource Does your landlord want you to move out? to be useful.

We wish you the best of luck with your situation.

- The Settlement.Org team
link
Larry
Larry

Posted On: 2/20/2020
Larry
Larry
My landlord has just recently put his property up for sale. What are my rights after He has sold the building
link

Posted On: 2/21/2020
Larry wrote:
My landlord has just recently put his property up for sale. What are my rights after He has sold the building

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We understand why this would be a concerning issue for you and empathize with your situation.

According to the Steps to Justice article My landlord wants to evict me because they are selling the place. What should I do?

Your landlord might want to evict you if they are trying to sell your place. This is a legal reason for eviction only if the buyer or the buyer’s close family member wants to move in.

If this is not the reason, your new landlord must honour the terms of your current lease.

As a tenant, your legal rights remain the same. For more information on your rights as a Tenant in Ontario, please read the Settlement.Org article, What are your rights as a Tenant?

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link