Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Can I Renew My Permanent Residency? 

Voiceeeeee
Voiceeeeee

Posted On: 3/26/2017
Voiceeeeee
Voiceeeeee
Hello, I am 17 years old (turning 18 in August) and I'm hopefully going to study for my diploma in Montreal, Quebec.

Now, back in 2002/2003 my father has applied for a permanent resident and we got it, but we left Canada and it expired in 2008.

But I was wondering, would a lawyer be able to help me renew my permanent residency while I am studying for my diploma in Canada using a study permit?

What are the chances of it actually being renewed? Is it possible? And how much time would it normally take?

Thanks a lot.
link
Wanderer
Wanderer

Posted On: 3/27/2017
Wanderer
Wanderer
Given that you were removed from Canada as a minor, you may be able to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), and then a new PR card when you get back into Canada. It would effectively be a H&C issue, as you didn't have option to maintain residency obligation due to being taken out of Canada by parent. Clarifying that you are still PR is definitely advisable.
link