Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Working/volunteering with an international org 

gokhanji
gokhanji

Posted On: 7/17/2017
gokhanji
gokhanji
Dears

I am currently a permanet resident, and I intend to work/volunteer for an international humanitarian/development organization , for example ( Cuso International ( http://www.cusointernational.org/ ) , will the time that I spend working/volunteering with an international humanitarian organization ( registered in Canada ) be counted towards my physical presence to get my Canadian citizenship.

Generally; other than :

• Canadian Armed Forces
  • federal public administration
  • public service of a province or territory

Is it an option to work for an international ( Canadian Based ) peace building / humanitarian / development organization outside Canada, and still count the time spent outside the country towards the time needed to get my Citizenship ?

Thank you
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 7/18/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

gokhanji wrote:
Dears

I am currently a permanet resident, and I intend to work/volunteer for an international humanitarian/development organization , for example ( Cuso International ( http://www.cusointernational.org/ ) , will the time that I spend working/volunteering with an international humanitarian organization ( registered in Canada ) be counted towards my physical presence to get my Canadian citizenship.

Generally; other than :

• Canadian Armed Forces
  • federal public administration
  • public service of a province or territory

Is it an option to work for an international ( Canadian Based ) peace building / humanitarian / development organization outside Canada, and still count the time spent outside the country towards the time needed to get my Citizenship ?

Thank you

1. Working for an International organization abroad will NOT be counted for residency purposes NOR will itcount as time to meet your Residency obligations for Permanent Residence. So be very careful There have been a couple of Federal Court rulings on this.

2. Old one for Citizenship http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/56796/index.do?r=AAAAAQAjIndvcmtpbmcgYWJyb2FkIiBmb3IgVW5pdGVkIE5hdGlvbnMB
link
Tito
Tito

Posted On: 12/11/2017
Tito
Tito
Hello,

My family and I arrived in Ontario early this year with a permanent residency visa.

I've received an offer of employment to work abroad for a United Nations agency. I would like to know whether I'll be able to maintain my permanent residency status in the following two scenarios:

1) I decide to go with my family abroad for the UN job,

2) I decide to go abroad for the UN job but my family remains in Canada.

Thank you in advance for considering my query.

Best
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 12/12/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

Tito wrote:
Hello,

My family and I arrived in Ontario early this year with a permanent residency visa.

I've received an offer of employment to work abroad for a United Nations agency. I would like to know whether I'll be able to maintain my permanent residency status in the following two scenarios:

1) I decide to go with my family abroad for the UN job,

2) I decide to go abroad for the UN job but my family remains in Canada.

Thank you in advance for considering my query.

Best

1. Working abroad with the UN will not protect your PR status in Canada.
2. If your family remains in Canada, you could still lose your PR status if by working abroad you don't meet your residency obligations.
link