Lost password

HomeServices for Specific Groups

Child, Youth and Family, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered, People with Disabilities, Seniors, Women...

Former lost Canadian on American SSDI 

Posts: 1

Posted On: 8/3/2017
Posts: 1
Former Lost Canadian on American SSDI

The only time I have lived in Canada was ten years ago on a student visa :)

But my mum was born in Vancouver BC and I thought something was wrong, how was it That we are not Canadian?

So Now I have received my citizenship certificate under C-24 and still find myself wanting to ask questions
I am on the American SSDI at age 58 and I have lost my student visa SIN card number what to do?

I know there is a social security treaty between Cannada and many nations but it's hard to make sense of any of it.
I may be a citizen but I am far from being settled you know so this is why I am here!

(I am in the United States using my American veterans benefits)

PS my first post :)
Posts: 4081

Posted On: 8/4/2017
Posts: 4081

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be interested in what your options are in this situation.

As you are now a Canadian Citizen, it is not likely you can use the SIN that was assigned to you as a student on a student visa. These are generally temporary SINs.

However, if you were eligible to work or worked while in Canada, and used that previous SIN, it may be helpful to find out if there are any entitlements or responsibilities related to that previous SIN.

You can contact Service Canada for some information related to your previous and current situation, including how to get a new SIN, now that you are a Canadian Citizen.

You can contact them here:

Outside Canada: 1-506-548-7961 (long-distance charges apply)
TTY: 1-800-926-9105
Hours of operation: Monday 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Atlantic time
Closed statutory holidays.

In terms of Pension and Benefits, you can find some helpful and detailed information on the Government of Canada website in the United States - Pensions and Benefits section.

For more information on Canada's international social security agreements, or want to find out if you are eligible to send in an application form contact the International Operations Unit directly.

You can contact them by phone here:

By phone:
1-800-454-8731 (TTY: 1-800-255-4786)
(from Canada and the United States)

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Settlement.Org Content and Information/Referral Specialist, CIRS