Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Applying for Citizenship - Travel to Home Country 

ghafoori
ghafoori

Posted On: 2/14/2018
ghafoori
ghafoori
Hi,

Thank you in advance for reading this and for your response.

I am a Canadian Permanent Resident and filling for my Canadian citizenship. I have a question which I couldn't find an answer suitable to my situation.

The Facts:
- Left my home country when I was 6 years old with my mother due to civil war.
- Lived in a second country as a refugee until I was 20
- A Group of 5 sponsored my mom and her dependents ( me, my sisters ). I was under 18 when the sponsorship application was submitted.
- Landed in Canada in 2011. I went back to my country in 2014 for two months to get married because my wife's family lived there. I used my home country passport. It was the first time I was visiting my country since we left it when I was 6.

The Question:
I am applying for my citizenship soon. Considering my satiation above, and the fact that you are not supposed to travel back to your home country when you left it for fear of prosecution, Am I putting myself in danger of Residency Revocation and removal from Canada?

Please note that I was 6 years old when we left the country and it was my first time when I traveled back. I am not very sure what Refugee category we were, but I think it was under country of asylum class due to our satiation. My mom was the principal applicant. She never went back to the country.

Looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
link
Barron
Barron

Posted On: 2/18/2018
Barron
Barron
I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but I'm really not qualified to do so. Most of the information that I can find does not differentiate between whether or not the person traveling is the principal applicant or not. I read this information here, but I think the most important bit is the suggestion to get legal advice. I wish you luck!
link