Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

PR Status - Only Allowed To Stay Abroad 6 Months? 

ForumUser
ForumUser

Posted On: 3/5/2018
ForumUser
ForumUser
Hi,

I want to ask about my permanent resident card.

I already received my PR card last January 2018 and I wish to travel outside canada for about 9 months in a row. Do I still need to notify the immigration about it? Do I need to file a permit in order to stay for more than 6 months outside Canada?

Because before the rule is if you're a permanent resident in Canada you only have 6 months most to stay outside Canada.

So, I'm also asking if this law is still applicable today?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/5/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

ForumUser wrote:
Hi,

I already received my PR card last January 2018 and I wish to travel outside canada for about 9 months in a row. Do I still need to notify the immigration about it? Do I need to file a permit in order to stay for more than 6 months outside Canada?

Because before the rule is if you're a permanent resident in Canada you only have 6 months most to stay outside Canada.

1. No, you don't need to inform IRCC (They don't care) and there is no permit.
2. To meet your PR residency obligations, you must reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period. The 2 years doesn't have to be consecutive .
3. See 2 above, the 6 month rule ended in 2002. Even then it wasn't hard and fast, you had to spend more than 6 months outside Canada with the INTENTION to abandon Canada.
link
Amy
Amy

Posted On: 4/29/2019
Amy
Amy
Hi,

I came to Canada on a spouse visa in march 2017 and received my PR card in may 2017. I came to my home country in october 2018 and I wish to stay here for about 7 months in a row. Do I need to notify the immigration about it? Would they cause any problem if I stay outside Canada for more than 6 months?

link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 4/30/2019
PMM
PMM
Hi

Amy wrote:
Hi,

I came to Canada on a spouse visa in march 2017 and received my PR card in may 2017. I came to my home country in october 2018 and I wish to stay here for about 7 months in a row. Do I need to notify the immigration about it? Would they cause any problem if I stay outside Canada for more than 6 months?

1. Please read the previous posts, there is no 6 month rule. The rule is to meet your Resident Obligations you must reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period. There are certain exceptions, working for Canadian Company, Government, Military, accompanying Canadian citizen spouse.
link
Amy
Amy

Posted On: 5/6/2019
Amy
Amy
I also want to ask that If a Canadian PR card holder travels and stays in the US for more than a year with Canadian spouse. And the Canadian spouse goes there on TN and TD visa. Does that time count in the days spent In Canada? Or we will count it as the time spent outside Canada?
link
Navtej
Navtej

Navtej
Navtej
The period spent in the US by a Canadian PR will not be counted as time spent in Canada except when one is working there for Canadian Govt. for Citizenship
link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
Hi

Amy wrote:
I also want to ask that If a Canadian PR card holder travels and stays in the US for more than a year with Canadian spouse. And the Canadian spouse goes there on TN and TD visa. Does that time count in the days spent In Canada? Or we will count it as the time spent outside Canada?

1. As long as you are accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse, (as long as there is no question as to whom is accompanying whom) then the days abroad count towards your R.O. They don't count for citizenship though.
link
Amy
Amy

Posted On: 5/7/2019
Amy
Amy
Thank you so much. So, time for citizenship starts after completing 2 years of PR card, or those 2 years are also a part of the citizenship time?
link
Amy
Amy

Posted On: 5/13/2019
Amy
Amy
Hi, I want to ask about the citizenship time, Does that time start after completing 2 years of PR card, and we have to stay for further 3 years to get passport? Or those 2 years are also included in the citizenship time and we just need to complete 1 more year to get citizenship? Please clarify. I am so confused.
link