Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Marriage after getting COPR 

UK123
UK123

Posted On: 4/13/2018
UK123
UK123
Guys,

I have a situation here. I received COPR(Confirmation of permanent residence) and I am planning to get married before landing to Canada. Would this be a problem with my current COPR status and should i need to return my current COPR Visa and apply again with my spouse. Any suggestions guys to handle this situation.

(OR)

Should I postpone my marriage till i get my PR card.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 4/14/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

UK123 wrote:
Guys,

I have a situation here. I received COPR(Confirmation of permanent residence) and I am planning to get married before landing to Canada. Would this be a problem with my current COPR status and should i need to return my current COPR Visa and apply again with my spouse. Any suggestions guys to handle this situation.

(OR)

Should I postpone my marriage till i get my PR card.

1. If you marry before you "land" your COPR is no longer valid. You will have to contact the processing office and add your new spouse to your application. If you "land" before your spouse is examined, (new application, medical, security check, police reports) you can never sponsor the spouse and you may be reported for misrepresentation.
2. If you "land" and then return and to your country and marry, you will have to return to Canada to sponsor you spouse. Permanent Residents must be residing in Canada to sponsor a spouse.
link