Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Returning to Canada After 4 Years 

mathewamr
mathewamr

Posted On: 9/15/2018
mathewamr
mathewamr
Hi,

If any one can advice, my PR card was issued in July,2014, since that i am out of Canada. now i am planning
to return to Canada by end of this month. my PR card is expiring in July,2019.

My questions are:
1- If they ask me to go back since i have not lived in Canada for two years, will that be from Airport? or i can still live until my PR card expires

2- If i pass through immigration and start working in Canada, do i have to file an appeal immediate? or after spending two years i just apply for renewal of PR card.

Rgds,
Mathew Amr.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 9/15/2018
PMM
PMM
HI

mathewamr wrote:
Hi,

If any one can advice, my PR card was issued in July,2014, since that i am out of Canada. now i am planning
to return to Canada by end of this month. my PR card is expiring in July,2019.

My questions are:
1- If they ask me to go back since i have not lived in Canada for two years, will that be from Airport? or i can still live until my PR card expires

2- If i pass through immigration and start working in Canada, do i have to file an appeal immediate? or after spending two years i just apply for renewal of PR card.

Rgds,

Mathew Amr.

1. If you are reported on entry for not meeting your Resident obligations, you will be issued a removal order and have 30 days to appeal to the Immigration and Refugee Board (you should have legal representation for this) as to why you should not lose your PR status.

2. If you are not reported, then you would have to remain in Canada for 2 years without leaving, to bring your Residence obligation into compliance. Only when you are in compliance, should you apply to renew your PR card.
link