Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Definition of Sibling 

Mohamad
Mohamad

Posted On: 1/21/2021
Mohamad
Mohamad
Hi Dear

I have a query, I became a canadian citizens recently, I am a full time student and i do not work, I was wondering, it is possible for me to sponsor my sister and my niece, but both of them are in backhome (Syria),
My sister is 18+ and my niece is a child is there is way I can sponsor them.

If anyone knows a way I can do that please let me know, I will appreciate it

Thank you
Regards,
link

Posted On: 2/3/2021
Hello,
Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We understand your interest in wanting to assess your options in this situation.
As a Canadian citizen, you could potentially sponsor your sister in exceptional circumstances. You can choose any one relative of any age to sponsor if you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, child, parent or grandparent, or orphaned sibling, nephew/niece or child who is either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or who is a foreigner that can be sponsored. For example, if you are married you cannot sponsor your sister to immigrate. The system is designed to favour persons who do not have relations in Canada and have no possibility to sponsor immediate family.
Additionally, you must also be at least 18 years of age and you must be able to agree in writing to give financial support to your sister and her daughter beginning from when they first become permanent residents for up to 20 years afterwards. This means that you will have to meet the following criteria:

- be able to support your relative financially when they arrive
- be able to meet basic needs for yourself and your relative, such as:
  • food
  • shelter
  • clothing

- be able to make sure that your relative doesn’t need social assistance

Please note that your niece could be included on your sister’s application as a dependent so long as she is under 22 years old and does not have a spouse or partner.
If you are able to fulfill the above listed criteria, the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) site provides step-by-step information regarding the application process and the forms that need to be signed on their page Sponsor a Member of the Family Class.
Please also note that the upfront fee that you will have to pay to sponsor your sister will be $1,050, if she is 22 years or older, or $650, if she is under 22 years old. The additional cost of including your niece as a dependent child on the application will be an extra $150.
Finally, it should be mentioned that although the IRCC is still accepting citizenship, sponsorship, and permanent resident applications, COVID-19 is affecting the review process and making it so that they are unable to estimate processing times at the moment.
We hope that you find this information helpful. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
This response was prepared with the assistance of PBSC law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. This response does not contain legal advice. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link