Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Previously PR, Currently being sponsored to CAN 

winforyou
winforyou

Posted On: 7/16/2019
winforyou
winforyou
Hi there

My father was the leading applicant to bring my entire family to Canada in 1998. My mother, brother, and myself.
Since then he had to work outside of Canada for long periods and could not meet the PR requirement. He requested to forfeit the status by visiting Canadian consulate in Korea.

Now, he has retired and wanting to stay with family. My mother is sponsoring my father in Sponsoring Spouse category. She is approved as a sponsor. However, CIC sends us a letter stating he has to forfeit his PR status in order to apply for the new PR application.

Does this mean he still has his permanent residency? (perhaps the government does not have a good documentation records?)
Does he need to forfeit the previous? or is it better to apply for PR status?

CIC is not responding to answer any questions, and we are getting stressed for lack of information.

Can anyone please help us?

Thank you
link

Posted On: 7/17/2019
Hello,

Thank you for using our forum.

In regards to your question you may find useful information in:

I have not met my PR requirements, have I lost my PR status? - https://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/permanent-residence/permanent-resident-pr-status/how-do-i-know-if-i-have-lost-my-pr-status/

For more specific questions regarding your case you may also inquire with a certified lawyer or immigration consultant - https://settlement.org/ontario/legal-services/lawyers-and-other-legal-help/find-a-lawyer/should-i-get-help-with-my-immigration-application-from-an-immigration-consultant-or-lawyer/

We hope that you will find this information useful.

Thank you,
Settlement.Org

winforyou wrote:
Hi there

My father was the leading applicant to bring my entire family to Canada in 1998. My mother, brother, and myself.
Since then he had to work outside of Canada for long periods and could not meet the PR requirement. He requested to forfeit the status by visiting Canadian consulate in Korea.

Now, he has retired and wanting to stay with family. My mother is sponsoring my father in Sponsoring Spouse category. She is approved as a sponsor. However, CIC sends us a letter stating he has to forfeit his PR status in order to apply for the new PR application.

Does this mean he still has his permanent residency? (perhaps the government does not have a good documentation records?)
Does he need to forfeit the previous? or is it better to apply for PR status?

CIC is not responding to answer any questions, and we are getting stressed for lack of information.

Can anyone please help us?

Thank you
link
winforyou
winforyou

Posted On: 7/17/2019
winforyou
winforyou
Thank you for the initial response. The links are helpful.

My father have renounced his PR status in Korea at Canadian Consulate 15 years ago. Apparently the process has not been completed.

Currently CIC has sent another letter stating that my father is eligible to apply for the PR sponsored by my mother. However, they will not process until his current status is renounced.

option 1. apply for the PR card
option 2. renounce current PR status and continue with the Spouse sponsorship PR application.

We are not sure which option is better.

Sung
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 7/18/2019
PMM
PMM
Hi

winforyou wrote:
Thank you for the initial response. The links are helpful.

My father have renounced his PR status in Korea at Canadian Consulate 15 years ago. Apparently the process has not been completed.

Currently CIC has sent another letter stating that my father is eligible to apply for the PR sponsored by my mother. However, they will not process until his current status is renounced.

option 1. apply for the PR card
option 2. renounce current PR status and continue with the Spouse sponsorship PR application.

We are not sure which option is better.

Sung

1. As he hasn't met his PR obligations, if he applies for a PR Travel document, he will most likely be refused. Then there is a 30 day appeal period to determine if he will appeal. If he appeals, probably looking at a year or so to get to the Immigration Appeal Division. If he has spent very little or no time in Canada since "landing", I would not be hopeful of winning.

2. Your father's better options (as it appears to me) is submit a renunciation of his PR status, doesn't take long. Then your mother (his wife) could then sponsor him.
link