Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Card and Super Visa Questions 

happy_canadian
happy_canadian

Posted On: 9/26/2019
happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hi,
My parents became PR in 2014 but did not stay in Canada for the required period so they loose their Canadian Permanent residency status. I have two questions

1) Do I need to inform CIC in writing , or does their PR status in Canada automatically get cancelled ?

2) Can I get the PR cancelled(by sending a formal letter to CIC) and at the same time apply for a 2 year Super visa as that seems to be more convenient to my parents ?

Please let me know my options.

Thanks
IQ
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 9/26/2019
PMM
PMM
Hi

happy_canadian wrote:
Hi,
My parents became PR in 2014 but did not stay in Canada for the required period so they loose their Canadian Permanent residency status. I have two questions

1) Do I need to inform CIC in writing , or does their PR status in Canada automatically get cancelled ?

2) Can I get the PR cancelled(by sending a formal letter to CIC) and at the same time apply for a 2 year Super visa as that seems to be more convenient to my parents ?

Please let me know my options.

Thanks

IQ

1. Your parents would either have to apply for a PR Travel Document, and be refused. The would have the right of appeal or They can renounce their permanent resident status. see: http://tinyurl.com/y5ewlc4d

2. You can't apply for a Super Visa until the decision is made on either the renouncement or PRTD application.
link