Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsor Children-Automatically Canadian Citizens? 

zeeshan ahmed
zeeshan ahmed

Posted On: 10/22/2019
zeeshan ahmed
zeeshan ahmed
Hello Sir,

I became a Canadian citizen last year June 2018 but due to some irreconcilable differences with my wife she opted for divorce we got separated in last Sept-2019 in India.

She was also a permanent resident as both of us were landed immigrants in 2010 she didn't stay much in Canada and her Permanent residency got expired long before we got divorced she is not interested to come to Canada which is one of the reasons for our differences and

I would like to know what will happen if I remarry and I have my new wife and children will the children of my new wife automatically become Canadian citizens as I am a Canadian citizen.

Please reply to my query.
Thanks.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 10/23/2019
PMM
PMM
Hi

zeeshan ahmed wrote:
Hello Sir,

I became a Canadian citizen last year June 2018 but due to some irreconcilable differences with my wife she opted for divorce we got separated in last Sept-2019 in India.

She was also a permanent resident as both of us were landed immigrants in 2010 she didn't stay much in Canada and her Permanent residency got expired long before we got divorced she is not interested to come to Canada which is one of the reasons for our differences and

I would like to know what will happen if I remarry and I have my new wife and children will the children of my new wife automatically become Canadian citizens as I am a Canadian citizen.

Please reply to my query.

Thanks.

1. No, they will not become Canadian citizens automatically. You would have to sponsor them for permanent residence. As you are a Step parent, they could not apply for Citizenship without meeting the physical requirement of residing in Canada.
link

Posted On: 10/31/2019
Hello,
Thank you for using our forum to share your question.

In regards to your question, you may find useful information in:

How do I sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent child living outside of Canada?

https://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/sponsorship/outside-canada/how-do-i-sponsor-a-spouse-common-law-or-conjugal-partner-or-dependent-child-living-outside-of-canada/

We hope that you will find this information useful.

Thank you,
Settlement.Org

zeeshan ahmed wrote:
Thnx for your reply I will clarify my case with the CIC regarding my divorce I am not a step parent these things happen in life divorces do occur people remarry and have children.You mean Canadian citizens marrying after divorce their children won't become citizens naturally what if they are children and infants under 17.
Plz reply to my query.
link