Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Any help is appreciated 

bamiradanj
bamiradanj

Posted On: 12/3/2019
bamiradanj
bamiradanj
Hello Everyone,

This is Bamir. I need your advice about my current situation:

I became PR in June 2011 (Landed in Toronto) and I got my PR Card expiring in 2016. I spent 4 months in Canada and then went back to my home country to take care of my Mom who is diagnosed with a cruel disease called ALS. I stayed in my home country until my PR Card's expiry and then I applied for a PRTD on Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds. The Embassy issued the PRTD after requesting some reports regarding my Mom's disease.

I re-entered Canada with this PRTD in October 2017 and applied for a new PR Card. It arrived in about a month and I came back to my home country right after receiving it. However, 2 months ago unfortunately I lost my Mom to ALS, she suffered from this extremely horribly cruel disease for years and passed away.

I am now planning to go back to Canada. My current PR Card's expiry is January 2023 and I wonder if it is ok for me to re-enter Canada with this PR Card. I still do not meet the residency obligation though.. But I was not able leave my Mom alone, only now I am free to move to Canada..

I will be coming there for a Masters degree at the University of Waterloo (and then hopefully I will continue my career there). To do so, I will leave my job here in my home country. It would be really problematic for me to leave my job here and get rejected in Canada and be forced to leave the country. So I really need your advice about this situation. Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks and have a very nice day.
link

Posted On: 12/27/2019
Hello Bamir,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We apologize for the delay in responding. We were doing some research into your question to see what we could find.

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation with everything that you've had going on up until now.

As you are aware, you currently do not meet the residency obligations and the PR card alone doesn’t create or maintain your status as a permanent resident, and an immigration officer will likely examine this status at the airport. We recommend that you bring all your documents and evidence supporting your original Humanitarian and Compassionate application if you have them.

But we feel it is best that you contact the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre directly to see if they have any information they can provide you.

Since you are still outside Canada you can also submit a case-specific inquiry:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here:

https://discuss.settlement.org/default.aspx

We hope this information is helpful.
Settlement.Org Team
link