Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Permanent resident 

Shyramos18
Shyramos18

Posted On: 12/4/2019
Shyramos18
Shyramos18
Hi I landed in canada last year july 2018, and got my first vacation back home for two & a half month with my canadian born baby . Recently im here in canada but I'm planning to leave outside canada for one year straight next year . Will my permanent residence affect, if I leave canada for a whole year ? And do I need to file my income tax return while im outside canada, and how ? What about my heatlh card is it going to expire if im not living in canada ? Hope to hear you soon thank you .
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 12/5/2019
PMM
PMM
HI

Shyramos18 wrote:
Hi I landed in canada last year july 2018, and got my first vacation back home for two & a half month with my canadian born baby . Recently im here in canada but I'm planning to leave outside canada for one year straight next year . Will my permanent residence affect, if I leave canada for a whole year ? And do I need to file my income tax return while im outside canada, and how ? What about my heatlh card is it going to expire if im not living in canada ? Hope to hear you soon thank you .

1. As long as you meet the residency obligation to reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period, you should be fine.
2. Note, you will not longer be eligible for the Child Tax Credit and you should inform CRA to stop it before you leave.
3. Unless you declare that you are non residence of Canada (no ties at all to Canada) you will have to report your overseas income.
4. Your health insurance will expire within 3-6 months of your leaving Canada, depending on the Province. You will also have a 3 month waiting period once you return to re-instate your health insurance.
link