Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Permanent Resident Staying outside Canada 

khantamanna
khantamanna

Posted On: 12/29/2019
khantamanna
khantamanna
Hello,

I became a permanent resident last year in March 2018.
I came back to my home country this year on June 13 and have been living here since then for a personal reason. But I plan to return in March 2020.
In 2018, I visited my country twice for a total of one and a half months.
I have a valid PR card with me for travelling, and lived in Canada from July 2016 to July 2018 at a stretch.

1) Would my visits outside Canada affect entry to Canada or my PR, which expires in 2023?

2) Would my OHIP coverage be cancelled?

Looking forward to your reply

Tamanna
link
Navtej
Navtej

Posted On: 1/1/2020
Navtej
Navtej
Hi,

1.The basic IRCC residency requirement to maintain your status as a Canada Permanent Resident: To maintain your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least 2 years - 730 days - within a 5 year period. During this time you must be physically in Canada. The two years do not need to be continuous.

2. Some short and Long absences from Canada do not affect OHIP coverage. I would suggest that you may go through the Ministry of health and Long Term care Fact sheet document Reference # 014129 and examine your own situation for find an answer.

Hope this helps.

Navtej
link
divyangdodia167
divyangdodia167

Posted On: 2/15/2020
divyangdodia167
divyangdodia167
Hello Greetings,

Same situation as above mentioned, got my PR in FEB 2018, came to India in Jan 2020, might have to stay here for a year and a half.
So I am well within my time period of minimum 730 days of physical presence.

My question is, Does the Immigration officer at the Port of entry inquire about the extended stay? If so, do we have to prove anything with some documents?

Thank you.
Divyang
link
brcalc
brcalc

Posted On: 3/7/2020
brcalc
brcalc
Hi,
I became Canadian permanent resident in May 2018. My Canadian citizen spouse found a job in the USA, we live in the US together. I read on the website, if I stay with my Canadian spouse in abroad, the days I spent abroad count for permanent residency. My question is; how will I need to prove that Period of time that I live with my spouse? Do I need to inform any authority?

Thank you
link