Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Name Change, who to notify? 

Posts: 1

Posted On: 12/31/2019
Posts: 1
If you change your name in Ontario and you are a Permanent Resident, who should you notify other than:
- Service Ontario - OHIP and Vehicle

Appreciate any feedback, thanks
Posts: 3297

Posted On: 1/14/2020
Posts: 3297
Hi Marie,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

There are 2 ways you can change your name after marriage. You can assume your married name or go through a formal name change. You may find the information in the Settlement.Org article How do I change my name after I get married? useful. This article details both processes for filing a name change in Ontario.

Here is an excerpt from the article:
“What documents should I update after a name change?
It is best to start by changing your Ontario Health Card (OHIP) and Ontario Driver’s license or Photo ID Card. Once you receive your updated cards you can proceed to update your other documents suggested in the list below.[...]
Some of the documents you should update include:
  • Ontario Health Card (OHIP)
  • Ontario Driver’s license or Photo ID Card
  • Vehicle registration
  • Permanent Resident or Citizenship Card
  • Passport
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • Tax information and Benefits (e.g. HST Rebates) with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
  • Banking and insurance information
  • Utility accounts like your hydro and phone bills
  • Records with your health care providers
  • Any other accounts you may have

The process for changing your name with different government ministries and organizations can vary widely. Be sure to check with each one to find out what documents and steps are required to change your name.”

To change your Ontario Health Card, Ontario Drivers License or Photo ID Card, visit a Service Ontario near you. You may find the article from Service Ontario’s article Health card renewal, replacement and cancellation useful. Depending on the type of name change (first name/middle name or last name) and the reason for it (marriage/divorce/adoption) the required documents may vary and are outlined in this article.

To notify the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) of your name change, you can call 1-800-959-8281. You may find the following article useful, How to tell the CRA about your change of name. Here is an excerpt:
“If you change only your first name or last name, call 1-800-959-8281 to advise us of your name change.

If you change your first name and last name, send the following by mail or fax to your tax centre:
  • the original or certified true copy of one of the following documents:
    • a name change certificate from a provincial/territorial vital statistics department; or
    • a court order issued under an act on change of name;
  • your old and new names;
  • your social insurance number; and
  • your signature.”

To connect with Service Canada to update the information on your SIN (Social Insurance Number) you can visit a Service Canada office near you. You may find the following article useful, Social Insurance Number – After you receive your SIN.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here:

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team