Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

one-way ticket entry 

hagesensei
hagesensei

Posted On: 1/14/2020
hagesensei
hagesensei
My Japanese wife is moving to Canada with me (a Canadian). I will be sponsoring her for permanent residency.
Can she enter the country on a one-way plane ticket?

cheers
link

Posted On: 2/13/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Whether or not your wife will be granted entry will be up to the CBSA officer. “There are a number of reasons you can be found inadmissible, denied a visa or refused entry to Canada.”

Since Japan is a visa-exempt country, she will need an Electronic Travel Authorization. You may also wish to contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre directly to see if they have any information they can provide you.

You can contact them at:

1-888-242-2100 (In Canada Only)

You can also submit an enquiry through their web form.

In assessing an application for temporary residence, an officer should consider, among other factors, the following:

• the length of time that the client will be spending in Canada
  • means of support
  • obligations and ties to the home country
  • the purpose and the context of the stay
  • the credibility of documents and information submitted
  • past compliance with requirements of the IRPA and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) that are applicable to temporary residents (visitors, students and workers), as well as information available in biographic and biometric information sharing

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Settlement.Org Team
link