Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Lost PR Card, hesitant to apply for replacement 

Michael B
Michael B

Posted On: 1/16/2020
Michael B
Michael B
I lost my PR card today but I am hesitant to apply for a replacement because I am worried it will expose the fact that I haven’t met residency obligations and may cause me to lose my residency status. Kindly advise.
I landed in August 2016 and finally moved to Canada December 2019. My card expires in September 2021. There is no way I can meet the requirement for residency obligation because at the time of my card expiry I would have spent just 665 days in Canada, which is less that the 730 days requirement. Also, because I have not been in Canada I haven’t paid any taxes. Please I need urgent advice. I am supposed to travel outside Canada next month and will need the card. I have reported the loss to the police and they advised I contact the IRCC immediately. I am confused right now. Thanks in advance for your responses.
link

Posted On: 2/3/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

It is best that you contact the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) contact Centre directly for more detailed information about your specific situation .

You can contact them at:

1-888-242-2100 (In Canada Only)

You can also submit a case-specific enquiry:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

According to thisSteps to Justice article, Do permanent residents lose their status if they spend time outside Canada?
The rules about the residency obligation mean that you can lose your status if you spend too much time outside Canada. The general rule is that in a period of 5 years, you must be in Canada for at least 2 years.

But you don't lose your permanent resident status automatically, even if you've been outside Canada too long. You're still a permanent resident until there's a decision to take away your status. And you have the right to go through an official process before the decision is made.

Steps to Justice provides users with legal information and options for next steps. For next steps on this issue follow this thread, here.

If you would like legal advice, you may wish to contact a Community Legal Clinic for more information. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me. You may also find useful information in the article, I have not met my PR requirements, have I lost my PR status?

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link