Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Card Renewal 

Rose
Rose

Posted On: 1/19/2020
Rose
Rose
Hello,

I have the following inquiries regarding the PR card renewal for people who became PR in 2015.
- How do I calculate number of days of physical presence for PR card renewal. If I take short trips outside the country, do the dates of departure and arrival both count as days of absence from Canada? or is it only the departure day that counts as a day of absence?

- Suppose I travel to the US and return the next day (for example: travel to US 18-Jan, travel back to Canada 19-Jan), how many days in that case count as absent from Canada?

- How long before the expiry of the PR card is it recommended to submit my PR card renewal application?

Thank you
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/20/2020
PMM
PMM
Hi

Rose wrote:
Hello,

I have the following inquiries regarding the PR card renewal for people who became PR in 2015.
- How do I calculate number of days of physical presence for PR card renewal. If I take short trips outside the country, do the dates of departure and arrival both count as days of absence from Canada? or is it only the departure day that counts as a day of absence?

- Suppose I travel to the US and return the next day (for example: travel to US 18-Jan, travel back to Canada 19-Jan), how many days in that case count as absent from Canada?

- How long before the expiry of the PR card is it recommended to submit my PR card renewal application?

Thank you

1. The day of departure and the day of return count as days in Canada.
2. Has to be reported, but doesn't count as a day away
3. Up to 9 months prior to expiry. Although processing time now is 25 days for a renewal.
link

Posted On: 1/21/2020
Hello There,

We appreciate you sharing your situation with us and that you would be interested in this type of information.

In addition to PMM’s response, you can read more about the PR renewal process on the IRCC website. You may also want to use IRCC’s Physical Presence Calculator as a resource to help you calculate this requirement.

If you have more detailed questions about your specific situation you may want to contact the IRCC Client Support Centre directly. You can do so by phone (1-888-242-2100) from within Canada, and via their webform.

For more information, visit Settlement.Org for articles on permanent residence. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link