Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

first name mix on canadian certificate 

happy
happy

Posted On: 1/27/2020
happy
happy
I found out that my first name got mix up with my middle name on Canadian citizenship certificate and record of landing. Instead of First name, middle name, last name, it was showing middle name, first name, last name.
What should i do? should I apply for new Canadian certificate to correct it or just leave it as it is? Thank you.
link

Posted On: 2/12/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Your Record of Landing document and Citizenship Certificate are documents that you may need in the future as supporting documents for applications like the Old Age Security Pension. In which case, having correct information would be important.

To amend your record of landing document, you can follow IRCC’s process: Request to Amend the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents.

According to the IRCC Help Centre:
An amendment will only be made if your document does not match the personal information in your entry passport.

For your citizenship certificate, you may find this IRCC Help Centre article Can I replace my citizenship certificate if there is a spelling or other mistake on it? useful. Here is an excerpt:

Yes. We will replace your citizenship certificate if:
1. we made a mistake in processing it, and
2. it has been 90 days or less since you received your citizenship certificate

You must resubmit an application for a citizenship certificate and pay the processing fee if it has been more than 90 days since:
  • you received your certificate at a citizenship ceremony,
  • your certificate was mailed to you, or
  • you picked it up from a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate

For information on how to correct this mistake on your citizenship certificate if it has been 90 days or less, please read the IRCC Help Centre article.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link