Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Canadian PR moving back to Canada on a PRTD 

IndianExpat
IndianExpat

Posted On: 2/7/2020
IndianExpat
IndianExpat
Hello all,

I am an Citizen of India and currently working in the US. I am also a Canadian PR who has an approved multiple entry PRTD till April 2020. I have a job offer in Canada that I plan to accept. My family is in Canada already and they have PR status. Coming to Canada will allow me to live with them and keep my PR status in Canada. I have only 7 days to accept the offer.

Now, I am very confused and am unable to get these answers:

• When do I file for renewing my PR card once I reach Canada? Do I renew before my PRTD expires or I wait for the 2 years before applying for the renewal.
  • Since my current PR card's expiry date has passed, can I accept a new job in Canada with an old PR card?
  • What kind of travel is less risky? By road on a private vehicle or by air? I can take more home goods with me If I travel by my vehicle.

• I have already traveled to Canada by air on this PRTD without any problem. Please provide your insights, if possible.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Best,

IndianExpat
    link

Posted On: 2/28/2020
    Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

When do I file for renewing my PR card once I reach Canada?
    To be eligible for a PR card, you need to:
    • be a permanent resident of Canada;
    • be physically present in Canada;
    • meet the residency requirement (see Appendix A – Residency obligation);
    • not be under an effective removal order;
    • not be a Canadian citizen; and
    • not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR Card

Since my current PR card's expiry date has passed, can I accept a new job in Canada with an old PR card?

So long as you have met the residency requirements to maintain your permanent residence status, then you should still be eligible to work in Canada. You may find helpful information in the Steps to Justice article, This is my first job in Canada. What do I need to work?

You may also be interested in the Settlement.Org article, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?

To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

Do I renew before my PRTD expires or I wait for the 2 years before applying for the renewal.

You must meet the residency requirement to be eligible for a PR Card. For more information on the eligibility criteria to renew your PR card, please review the PR Card Application Instructional Guide. You may also find useful information in Settlement.Org articles about Permanent Residence.

What kind of travel is less risky? By road on a private vehicle or by air? I can take more home goods with me If I travel by my vehicle.

In terms of travelling, permanent residents can only use a valid PR Card or PRTD to return to Canada. Usually, a Travel Document can only be used once. You may want to read more about travelling without a PR card in this Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

Here is an excerpt:
    The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), also known as a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) issued by a Canadian visa office abroad.

If you are entering Canada in a private vehicle, such as your own car, and you do not present your PR card, you may be able to show other immigration documents.

If you are outside of Canada or plan to leave Canada and have immigration questions, you may want to contact the IRCC Call Centre or use their web form.

You may also want to contact a Lawyer or a reputable, registered Immigration Consultant who is familiar with Canadian immigration and employment issues for some advice and assistance with this process.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
    link