Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Moving in with my Partner 

rburns71
rburns71

Posted On: 2/8/2020
rburns71
rburns71
My partner and I have a very unusual situation, we currently live in the same building however in different apartments. While this living situation has served us well for many years the cost associated is not ideal. We have discussed moving into one apartment where my partner will give notice and ultimately move into my apartment. We have had the discussion with the current super, however the process of us giving up one apartment so my partner can move into my apartment seems off to me.

The process is as follows:
-partner will need to fill out an application to transfer apartments
-partner will need to fill out an application for residency to be added to my lease as a new tenant

It has also been told that the chances of the property management company agreeing to this new arrangement slim to none.

there are no provisions in mine nor my partners that we are not allowed to have roommates, guests for extended periods of time nor our partners move in.

I am not sure whether either application is legal nor necessary
Any advice would be appreciated.
link

Posted On: 3/3/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may want to call the Landlord and Tenant Board at 1-888-332-3234 or 416-645-8080 (in the GTA) for information specific to your situation. The landlord and tenant board resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants.

For more information on your rights as a Tenant in Ontario, please read the Settlement.Org article, What are your rights as a Tenant? and How can I end my tenancy early?

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link