Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Card Renewal 

sidg25
sidg25

Posted On: 2/20/2020
sidg25
sidg25
I’m an Indian citizen who is currently on a PRTD (R-1) and have been staying in Canada since July 2018 except for a few short trips to USA. I was told to wait to apply for my PR Card renewal when I had come here in 2018.
What is the earliest time to apply for the PR Card renewal considering my PRTD is valid till May 2020?
link

Posted On: 2/24/2020
sidg25 wrote:
I’m an Indian citizen who is currently on a PRTD (R-1) and have been staying in Canada since July 2018 except for a few short trips to USA. I was told to wait to apply for my PR Card renewal when I had come here in 2018.
What is the earliest time to apply for the PR Card renewal considering my PRTD is valid till May 2020?

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Permanent residents can only use a valid PR Card or PRTD to return to Canada.

According to Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

The [Permanent Resident] Travel Document can only be used once.
[...]
It is important that you check the expiry date of your PR card before you travel. If you need to renew it, you should apply before you travel. Find more information about renewing a PR card.

It may take some time to process your PR Card renewal application. So, if your PR Card is expiring soon, you may want to start your application for renewal sooner rather than later.

According to this IRCC Help Centre article, you can check current processing times for permanent resident (PR) cards here.

You may also find useful information in Settlement.Org articles about Permanent Residence.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link