Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Tenants guests blocking security doors open 

B.C Properties
B.C Properties

Posted On: 2/21/2020
B.C Properties
B.C Properties
Hello there!

I manage a property in Kingston and we recently upgraded the security on the building as there was a shooting, thankfully no one was injured. My question is, I have a tenant whos guests constantly block this door open which allows people to come into the building and hang out, smoke drugs, loiter etc. I have served notices to the tenants and am currently awaiting our hearing date at the LTB...what can I do in the meantime to prevent her guests from doing this and putting the security of the building at risk? Can I call police?
link

Posted On: 3/9/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We can understand that you would be concerned about this situation.

If it is not an emergency, you may want to call municipality service numbers usually listed on municipality websites or the non-emergency police number.

You may also want to contact the Landlord's Self Help Centre for some advice regarding your situation. The Landlord's Self-Help Centre is a non-profit specialty community legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario and mandated to provide support exclusively to Ontario's small landlord community.

For more information, you may find Settlement.Org articles What do I need to know about home security? And How can I get help in an emergency? helpful.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Settlement.Org Team
link
DannieNoarh
DannieNoarh

Posted On: 7/19/2023
DannieNoarh
DannieNoarh
It's important to prioritize the safety and well-being of everyone living there. While waiting for the hearing date at the LTB, there are a few steps you can take to address the situation.
link
YalloM3
YalloM3

Posted On: 7/25/2023
YalloM3
YalloM3
First, I would suggest having a conversation with the tenant involved and explaining the gravity of the situation. Emphasize the importance of keeping the security doors closed and the potential risks associated with leaving them open. They might not be fully aware of the consequences their guests' actions can have on the building and other tenants.
link

Posted On: 7/27/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing, we appreciate this advice and concern for this situation. It may also be helpful to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some additional information regarding what your rights and responsibilities are in this situation as a landlord. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services for helping housing law that may be of interest to you.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
HOTROD1975
HOTROD1975

Posted On: 3/5/2024
HOTROD1975
HOTROD1975
POLICE WONT DO A THING MAYBE SHE WANTED TO AIR OUT APRTMENT I SOME DAYS KEEP MY DOOR
OPEN.

B.C Properties wrote:
Hello there!
I manage a property in Kingston and we recently upgraded the security on the building as there was a shooting, thankfully no one was injured. My question is, I have a tenant whos guests constantly block this door open which allows people to come into the building and hang out, smoke drugs, loiter etc. I have served notices to the tenants and am currently awaiting our hearing date at the LTB...what can I do in the meantime to prevent her guests from doing this and putting the security of the building at risk? Can I call police?
link