Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Permanent Residency staying outside Canada 

Posted On: 11/9/2020
Cing2 wrote:
HI,

My parents received their PR in 2009. A year later my mom had to go back because she could not have the heart not to help my youngest brother who just had a second child. My brother and his wife both have to work so they need someone to look after the baby. My father lives with me until now. But my mom could not go back to Canada within the time period that allows her to keep her PR status
We all thought that her PR is automatically revoked and lost the PR permanently. Until recently I heard that if she never officially renounced it, she could still appeal to recover her status.
For the past few years, my dad went back and forth visiting her due to her situation. However, my dad now is already old. I am hoping they are no longer live in separation like this. Is there a way to get her status back?
Thank you kindly for your response.

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

It sounds like your mother has not met her residency requirements. Which does not necessarily mean she has lost PR status, an official process must begin for one to lose PR status. IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your mother staying outside of Canada for the time that she has. This is up to IRCC and it would be best for your mother to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about her specific application and what kind of supporting documents she may require.

Based on information on the IRCC website, your mother will likely need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada. According to the IRCC Help Centre article What happens if my permanent resident card expires while I am outside Canada?:
If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada. If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about her situation. We hope this information is helpful, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
kbaria
kbaria

Posted On: 11/27/2020
kbaria
kbaria
Hi,

I understand that the Residency Obligation (RO) for PRs is at least 730 days (2 years) out of 5 years rolling period.

I am currently in Singapore and am moving to Canada on 26th December 2020 after having received a transfer letter from my current organisation.

My current situation is as follows:

1. I entered Canada on 28th February 2018 and exited on 31st May 2018. The total time I have spent in Canada to date is 90 days (I received my PR card towards the end of the 90 days stay)
2. The total time I have spent outside Canada is 912 days (2.5 years)
3. After landing in Canada on 26th December, I have approximately 820 days to complete my residency obligations (2 yeas and 2 months) in addition to the 90 days (3 months) I have already spent as mentioned in point number 1.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is my PR card sufficient in terms of a travel document for me to enter Canada?
2. When I enter Canada and I am asked to provide proof of how I will meet my residency obligation will a letter of employment (offer letter) from my employer in Canada suffice?
3. Are there any other checks that I should be aware of?
4. Am I making the move too late or cutting things too short in terms of RO?

Thank you.
link