Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Send application for PR renewal from outside 

jlrb
jlrb

Posted On: 3/10/2020
jlrb
jlrb
I'm currently outside Canada, and I have all the paperwork ready. Can I send the application with all the paperwork to a family member in Canada, and then he sent the application to the processing center or I have to be physically present in Canada and sent myself the application?

Thx in advance.
link

Posted On: 3/26/2020
jlrb wrote:
I'm currently outside Canada, and I have all the paperwork ready. Can I send the application with all the paperwork to a family member in Canada, and then he sent the application to the processing center or I have to be physically present in Canada and sent myself the application?

Thx in advance.

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

To renew your PR card, you must be physically present in Canada.
Are you eligible?
To be eligible for a PR Card, you must:
  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • be physically present in Canada;
  • meet the residency requirement (see Appendix A – Residency obligation);
  • not be under an effective removal order;
  • not be a Canadian citizen; and
  • not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR Card
Permanent Residents outside of Canada
If you are outside Canada and do not have a valid PR Card to return, you must get a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Visa Application Centre or a Canadian visa office.

If you are outside of Canada with an expired PR card, you may find useful information in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do? We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here. You can also find updates on program delivery for COVID-19 here.

Settlement.Org Team
link