Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLegal Services and Human Rights

Courts, Human Rights, Lawyers and Legal Representation, Community Legal Clinics, Legal Aid, Police...

The Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) 

joseph
joseph

Posted On: 3/26/2020
joseph
joseph
'The application process is scheduled to open in early April, with individual income support payments amounting to about $2,000 a month expected to flow about 10 days later. The benefits will be available for four months.'

I am a refugee claimant. Am I eligible?
link

Posted On: 4/16/2020
joseph wrote:
'The application process is scheduled to open in early April, with individual income support payments amounting to about $2,000 a month expected to flow about 10 days later. The benefits will be available for four months.'

I am a refugee claimant. Am I eligible?

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

The eligibility criteria for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit is as follows:
The benefit will be available to workers:
  • Residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;
  • Who have stopped working because of COVID-19 and have not voluntarily quit their job or are eligible for EI regular or sickness benefits;
  • Who had income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and
  • Who are or expect to be without employment or self-employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial four-week period. For subsequent benefit periods, they expect to have no employment or self-employment income.

You may also find helpful information in the Steps to Justice article, Who can get the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) and how do I apply?:
To apply, you need all of the following:
  • a Social Insurance Number (SIN), which means that Temporary Foreign Workers and foreign students who have a SIN may qualify
  • an online account with the CRA or Service Canada

We hope this information is helpful. You may also want to contact the CERB automated help line for more information about this benefit by calling 1-833-966-2099. To speak with an agent, call 1-800-959-8281.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Settlement.Org Team
link