Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Card Renewal Application Form (IMM5444) 

Rose
Rose

Posted On: 4/13/2020
Rose
Rose
Hi,

I have some inquiries regarding the PR Card Renewal Application form (IMM5444)

First: Regarding the travel history question (question 21) where I need to indicate all absences from Canada:
  • I landed in Canada in June 2015. I had to return to my country of citizenship (Jordan) a few months after I landed in Canada for family and work reasons. I spent the first two years after I became a Canadian PR in Jordan. During these two years, I had to go on short work trips to other countries from Jordan. Do I have to indicate each of the trips on question 21, or since I was departing from and returning to Jordan, I should only aggregate the full stay away from Canada during this time and indicate that my location during this period of absence was Jordan?
  • Can I indicate the reason for my absence as "family reasons" or I have to elaborate and give more details?

Second: Regarding question 19 where I need to indicate my address history inside and outside Canada
  • During the first two years when I was in Jordan, I visited Canada once and stayed in my cousin's house for two weeks. Do I have to indicate this two week's period as one of the addresses listed in this question? Note: this is not my permanent address that was listed on the driver's license at that time.
  • Should the from and to dates in this question be associated with the date of the address change in service ontario or the date I actually occupied the house?

Thank you
Rose
link
Rose
Rose

Posted On: 4/29/2020
Rose
Rose
I am wondering if someone has any similar experience and can assist me with my inquiry
link

Posted On: 4/29/2020
Rose wrote:
Hi,

I have some inquiries regarding the PR Card Renewal Application form (IMM5444)

First: Regarding the travel history question (question 21) where I need to indicate all absences from Canada:
  • I landed in Canada in June 2015. I had to return to my country of citizenship (Jordan) a few months after I landed in Canada for family and work reasons. I spent the first two years after I became a Canadian PR in Jordan. During these two years, I had to go on short work trips to other countries from Jordan. Do I have to indicate each of the trips on question 21, or since I was departing from and returning to Jordan, I should only aggregate the full stay away from Canada during this time and indicate that my location during this period of absence was Jordan?
  • Can I indicate the reason for my absence as "family reasons" or I have to elaborate and give more details?

Second: Regarding question 19 where I need to indicate my address history inside and outside Canada
  • During the first two years when I was in Jordan, I visited Canada once and stayed in my cousin's house for two weeks. Do I have to indicate this two week's period as one of the addresses listed in this question? Note: this is not my permanent address that was listed on the driver's license at that time.
  • Should the from and to dates in this question be associated with the date of the address change in service ontario or the date I actually occupied the house?

Thank you
Rose

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information.

We have received a similar question in the past. You may also find some previous information helpful in our Settlement.Org Address History and Travel History - PR card - Permanent Resident Card Discussion Thread.

You may also find it helpful to use IRCC’s Physical Presence Calculator as a resource to help you calculate your residency requirement. Please note, this resource is intended to calculate physical presence for citizenship applications. The residency requirement for citizenship requires physical presence in Canada for 1,095 days.

You may want to contact IRCC using their web form for specific information and advice regarding your application.

For further reading, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?, Should I get help with my immigration application from an immigration consultant or lawyer? and Frequently Asked Questions about the Permanent Resident Card

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Guneet
Guneet

Posted On: 5/1/2020
Guneet
Guneet
Hi !

This is regarding the name change on my son's PR card. The completed Application Form has been received by the Sydney processing center on March 16th with the new name split on the Indian Passport along with a Legal Name change document and the online fee paid as well.

I have not got any Acknowledgement of Receipt (AoR) from Service Canada.
After I get the corrected new PR Card , I need to get the name changed on the SIN as well.

My son is on the verge of applying to Universities, the deadline soon approaching.

I am so worried as I have to apply for OSAP. He could not apply for the student emergency fund during COVID.

We have followed the exact procedure that was written on the CIC website. Is there any way we can get to contact the concerned department or get to know the timelines we can expect the new PR card ??

Please advise. Thanks.
link

Posted On: 5/11/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

It is best that you contact IRCC (formerly CIC) using their web form for information specific to your application. It usually takes 2-5 days for IRCC to respond, however wait times for a response may be longer due to the COVID-19 situation.

According to IRCC’s COVID-19 notice on Processing Times, applications in progress will continue to be processed. Here is an excerpt:

The impacts of COVID-19 have had an effect on our operations and our ability to respond to and process applications. We are therefore unable to provide processing timelines for specific applications at this time. Our current focus is on priority applications such as Canadians attempting to return to the country, vulnerable populations, and people who perform or support essential services, and we are trying to process those as quickly as possible.

IRCC is working on ways to finalize applications virtually. If you have a file in progress, check our website regularly for the most up to date information on the impacts of COVID on IRCC file processing.

While it is good to apply early, your son will still be eligible to apply for OSAP during the school year. According to the Ministry of Colleges and Universities:
For part-time students with study periods of 21 weeks or more and for all full-time students, submit your OSAP application no later than 60 days before the end of your study period.

For part-time students with study periods of 20 weeks or less, submit your OSAP application no later than 40 days before the end of your study period.

You may also find some helpful information on the website newyouth.ca -- an online community for immigrant and refugee youth all over Ontario. Their section on paying for post-secondary school in particular may have some worthwhile resources.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link