Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

still need to wait for 3 months to regain my OHIP? 

wjcb0328
wjcb0328

Posted On: 4/15/2020
wjcb0328
wjcb0328
hi, settlement. org team.
I,holding a canadian passport, had worked abroad for last 7 years and came back to my home in north york on March 28th, 2020. I permanently moved in with my spouse because the country i lived in before was in very dangerous and unstable condition due to covid-19.

my question is following:
since i had been stayed outside of ontario(south korea) more than 7 months during last 12 months, should i need to wait for 3 months to regain my health card? or may i visit service ontario to renew it without any waiting?
I have read an article saying canadian government is waiving 3 month-waiting period due to the extreme situation. I would like to make sure if the article means that I can visit service ontario by tomorrow, renew my health card and my coverage starts on that day.

Thank you for reading and hope to get your response soon.
link

Posted On: 5/1/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You are correct, the Government of Ontario is waiving the 3-month waiting period for health coverage due to current events with COVID-19. Expired health cards will also be accepted by Ontario health care providers.

According to Service Ontario’s COVID-19 notice:
Please note: we have extended validation to expired and expiring health cards. You do not need to renew at this time.

As of March 19, 2020 we are waiving the three-month waiting period for OHIP coverage. If you do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage and are uninsured, the province will fund the cost of COVID-19 services.

Until further notice, “the Ministry [of Health] requests hospitals provide all medically necessary services to all persons who present at a hospital, regardless of whether the person presents a valid OHIP card, or does not have health insurance under OHIP or another provincial health insurance plan.”

If you have an expired or an expiring health card, you may continue to use that to access health services. If you do not have a health card, you may apply at a local Service Ontario centre.

You may also find information in the Settlement.Org article, What documents do I need to apply for a Health Card (OHIP)? Feel free to also contact Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for more information.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Manpreetpanesar
Manpreetpanesar

Posted On: 4/22/2021
Manpreetpanesar
Manpreetpanesar
Hello,

I am a newcomer to Ontario. I was landed on February 12, 2021, and I have a spouse open work permit. I was hospitalized here due to an infection in my stomach on April 11, 2021. I don't have a job here, so I'm not eligible for an OHIP card. Recently, I came to know that the province will cover the cost of COVID-19 services for uninsured people who do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage due to Covid-19.

https://www.ontariomidwives.ca/sites/default/files/IPAC%20Protocols/MOH%20memo%20-%20funding%20for%20uninsured%20persons%20March%2020%202020.pdf

Also, Ontario is waiving the three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage.

The hospital sent me the bill which is very huge and at the time I had no private insurance.

How can I check my eligibility for the claim as per the document that I have linked? If I am eligible, how can I do that?

Thanks
link