Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Consumer Proposal - Does this affect citizenship 

farhadfaiz
farhadfaiz

Posted On: 4/28/2020
farhadfaiz
farhadfaiz
Hi,

I'll be completing my 3 years this summer as a PR in Canada and plan to apply for citizenship in the next 4 months. Will a consumer proposal or bankruptcy affect my successful citizenship grant?

Look forawrd to hear back back soon. Thank you
link

Posted On: 6/3/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may be interested in the eligibility criteria for citizenship, here is an excerpt:
To be eligible to become a Canadian citizen, you must:

Prohibitions
If you committed a crime in or outside Canada
  • you may not be eligible to become a Canadian citizen for a period of time
  • time spent serving a term of imprisonment, on parole, or on probation doesn’t count as time you’ve lived in Canada
Find out about situations that may prevent you from becoming a Canadian citizen:
  • If you’re not sure whether the situations apply to you, contact your lawyer or arresting police officer.
  • Wait until the situation no longer applies before you apply for citizenship.
  • We’ll review your application on a case-by-case basis.

While bankruptcy and consumer proposals may not be listed as criteria that would prohibit your eligibility for citizenship, you may still want to contact IRCC directly and make a case-specific inquiry to confirm this information. This online tool to check your eligibility for citizenship may also provide some guidance.
We hope this information is helpful and wish you the best of luck on this endeavour. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link