Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

What's the current landing policy during COVID-19? 

lukaifeng1002
lukaifeng1002

Posted On: 4/30/2020
lukaifeng1002
lukaifeng1002
Hi everyone,

What's the current landing policy during COVID-19?

My wife got approved for permanent residency in early April,
but we have been given different advice on when she will be allowed to enter Canada.

Some say no landing for new PR till further notice, some say new PR can enter as long as their direct relatives live in Canada...

So, what is the official policy on this? How was your current landing experience like?

Feedback are appreciated, please share.
Thank you
link

Posted On: 5/14/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We hope other users can share their experiences with you as well.

You may find helpful information in IRCC’s article, How the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is affecting immigration, refugees, citizenship and passport services: immigration applicants.

Here is an excerpt:

Landing appointments will be held by telephone, if possible.
We cancelled all in-person permanent resident landing appointments until further notice. All landing appointments will be done by telephone whenever possible. Otherwise, we’ll reschedule them for later.
[...]
Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents
If we already approved your permanent resident application but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, use the Web form to tell us why you can’t travel.

Once it’s possible for you to travel, use the Web form to let us know so we can tell you what to do next.

An update on Travel Restrictions as of May 6th, 2020 is that temporary foreign workers, some international students and approved permanent residents who haven’t yet landed are now able to enter Canada.

If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check conducted by airlines before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.

When you arrive in Canada, we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don’t have a plan, you should not travel to Canada.

Only people who provide essential services, for example, truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods, are exempt from the quarantine requirements.

You may also want to contact IRCC directly with a case-specific inquiry. In which case, it is best to use their web form, here.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link
Syphon74
Syphon74

Posted On: 12/22/2020
Syphon74
Syphon74
Hi, I have the same problem, my permanent residence was approved in October, I have my ticket bought for flight at the end of January 2021, I've heard that there are people who couldn't enter to make the landing, I've read only people with residence approved before march can do it. I contact IRCC and only have auto responses. I really need to go to Canada as soon as possible, it's been 4 years since I started this process, is there any chance to make my landing by that date? What happen to all the people who have residence approved and could not been able to make the landing before this pandemic? I'm gonna lose my job opportunity if I cannot pass through immigration that day. Meanwhile immigration keep talking about new immigration plans, why do they do that if people with COPR cannot enter to be residents? I really need someone to explain it to me, thanks
link