Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeUniversity and College Education

Colleges, Universities and Institutes, Evaluating Educational Credentials...

Dual Citizen (Canada/US) Studying in Ontario 

May West
May West

Posted On: 5/13/2020
May West
May West
Greetings. I'm asking about my son, who is planning to start university in Toronto in the fall. He was born in the United States (Boston, Massachusetts) and derives Canadian citizenship through me.

I am Canadian by virtue of the fact that I was born in Montreal and lived there for the first 35 years of my life, before moving to the United States. My son already has his Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship card and a Social Insurance Number.

During his first year at university, at least, he will be living in the university's student residence.

At what point in time can my son be considered a legal resident of Ontario (thus qualifying for OSAP, OHIP, an Ontario drivers license, etc.)?
link

Posted On: 5/22/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. OSAP, OHIP, and Ontario’s Ministry of Transportation may have different eligibility criteria.

Regarding who is eligible for OHIP,
To meet the minimum qualifications you must: be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period. be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province.

Feel free to contact Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for more information. You may also find information in the Settlement.Org articles, What documents do I need to apply for a Health Card (OHIP)?, What is the 3-month waiting period for OHIP? and How do I apply for a Health Card (OHIP)?

Regarding who is eligible for OSAP,
Residency in Ontario
You must meet certain requirements to be considered a resident of Ontario for OSAP purposes. You may also be eligible if your spouse or parent(s) meet certain residency requirements.
If you do not meet OSAP's Ontario residency requirements you may still be eligible. You may have to provide a detailed explanation in your History of Canadian Residency form and submit the required documents that support your residency.
If you have lived in another province, you must contact that province's student assistance program.

For more information on OSAP, you may also find some helpful information on the website newyouth.ca -- an online community for immigrant and refugee youth all over Ontario. Their section on paying for post-secondary school in particular may have some worthwhile resources.

Regarding who is eligible for an Ontario drivers license,
Requirements for driving in Ontario
  • Residents of Ontario must be at least 16 years old and have a valid Ontario driver’s licence to drive in this province.
  • Visitors to Ontario who want to drive while here must be at least 16 years old and have a valid driver’s licence from your own province, state or country. If you are visiting Ontario for more than three months, you need an International Driver’s Permit from your own country.
  • New residents to Ontario with a valid driver’s licence from another province, state or country can use it for 60 days after you move to Ontario.
  • If you become a permanent resident of Ontario, you must get an Ontario driver’s licence.

You may also find helpful information in Settlement.Org articles, How do I get an Ontario driver's licence? and How do I apply for a driver's licence? What documents do I need?

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link