Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Mould + Eviction 

countrywife
countrywife

Posted On: 6/20/2020
countrywife
countrywife
Roughly 2 weeks ago my basement apartment flooded for the fifth time. I got in touch with me landlord right away and they offered no help. I borrowed a shopvac from the neighbour and got it cleaned up. I got brave and pulled up the edge of the carpet to find Black Mould and crumbling plywood under the carpet. I went to my landlord and showed him the photo and he said he needed to speak to his wife.

I wait patiently and a week or so later she emails me saying 'the mould and water damage in concerning ' and apparently in her uneducated opinion the unit needs to be cleared to be repaired. She told me we have until Sept 1st to move out.

I did some research and see that she has to give me an n13 form and 120 days notice on the form. I emailed her and the husband, sent them the form and asked them to fill it out and send it back to me with 120 days notice. I also followed up a couple days later with a text and have not heard anything except an email from the husband saying 'he was having nothing to do with the wifes decision'

1) how do I force her to fill out the form?
2) carpet is an easy repair and so is the cause of the flood. How many days do they have to replace the carpet from the mould? I thought it was 30 days? It is not healthy for my family to be living in this!

Thank you!
link

Posted On: 6/29/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation.

It is best that you contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You may wish to also call the Landlord and Tenant Board at 1-888-332-3234 or 416-645-8080 (in the GTA) for information specific to your situation. The landlord and tenant board resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link