Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Card Renewal
[email protected]
Posts: 1

Posted On: 7/5/2020
I got my Canadian PR along with my parents in 2006 when I was just six years of age but since my father had to return back to India due to medical emergency back in India I also had no option but to return back with them. Due to prolonged medical condition of my grandfather my father could not return back to Canada and in the process our PR cards expired. Now after completing my schooling I want to return back to Canada and pursue my futher studies there please guide me thru the process I should follow so that I can travel back to Canada.
Posts: 3261

Posted On: 17 days ago
Posts: 3261
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

According to the IRCC Help Centre article What happens if my permanent resident card expires while I am outside Canada?:
If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada. If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

You may find useful information in the article on Settlement.Org, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)? Here is an excerpt:

To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period.

IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your extended stay. However, this is up to IRCC and it would be best for you to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about her specific application and what kind of supporting documents you may require.

You may also want the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.


Your Settlement.Org Team