Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Was PR in 2010 - Child Canadian citizen 

cjrivas
cjrivas

Posted On: 7/13/2020
cjrivas
cjrivas
Hello,

My wife and I lived in Canada as Permanent residents back in 2010 for 1 1/2 years. My eldest son was born in Canada. We returned to our country due to personal family situations. We had a second child which is not canadian. We now intend to return to Canada. Would it be possible to count time off canada taking care of our son towards keeping PR staus? If so, shall we need to apply to PR just for my youngest son? Can we apply again for permanet residence?
Thanks for tour help
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 7/13/2020
PMM
PMM
Hi

cjrivas wrote:
Hello,

My wife and I lived in Canada as Permanent residents back in 2010 for 1 1/2 years. My eldest son was born in Canada. We returned to our country due to personal family situations. We had a second child which is not canadian. We now intend to return to Canada. Would it be possible to count time off canada taking care of our son towards keeping PR staus? If so, shall we need to apply to PR just for my youngest son? Can we apply again for permanet residence?

Thanks for tour help

1. No, taking care of your child doesn't preserve your PR status.

2. It appears you no longer meet your PR obligations residing in Canada for 2 years in every 5. Before you could sponsor your child, you would have to be in compliance with that obligation. In other words "if" you were able to enter Canada without being reported, you would have to remain for 2 straight years without leaving to meet the obligations.
3. Your only other choices are apply for PR Travel Document overseas, and demonstrate that you had Humanitarian grounds for remaining abroad, if you are refused you would be given appeal rights. Or renounce your PR status, and re-apply, if you are eligible under Express Entry, you would need about 470 points to qualify.
link