Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Applying to Voluntarily Renounce Your PR 

Roxana
Roxana

Posted On: 7/24/2020
Roxana
Roxana
Hello.
Due to the fact that I had to remain in my homecountry ( some family problems) I want to recounce at my PR for me and my 6 years son. I heard that if I renounce in the name of my son at his permanent residence ( because he is under age) when he will be 18 , can he aplly for residency without going through all the process , because he did not agree to voluntarily renounce at his PR .
Do you know if it is true? I would really like for him to have the chance to be able to go and live in Canada when he will be 18 if he wants to do so, without having to start the process all over again.
Thank you
link

Posted On: 9/4/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Renouncing PR status is a voluntary process. If your PR card expires while you are outside Canada, you may still be considered a permanent resident. If you cannot meet the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs) and must stay for family and personal reasons, IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your extended stay. However, this is up to IRCC and it would be best for you to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about your specific application.

Regarding your sons return, you may want the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or a lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation. If you contact 211 and speak to a Community Resource Navigator, they may be able to connect you to local legal services. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer?
and What other kinds of legal help can I get? on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link