Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeUniversity and College Education

Colleges, Universities and Institutes, Evaluating Educational Credentials...

Protected Person 

Riddo44
Riddo44

Posted On: 8/4/2020
Riddo44
Riddo44
My family has applied for protected person status in Canada, we have got our referral and have our refugee claimant document. Under this circumstance am I a protected person? ( My reason for asking is because I want to know if I can apply for studentaid, I am going to Memorial University of Newfoundland, I saw that protected persons can also apply)
link

Posted On: 8/31/2020
Riddo44 wrote:
My family has applied for protected person status in Canada, we have got our referral and have our refugee claimant document. Under this circumstance am I a protected person? ( My reason for asking is because I want to know if I can apply for studentaid, I am going to Memorial University of Newfoundland, I saw that protected persons can also apply)

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

While your claim is being processed, it is being determined whether or not you fall under the category of “convention refugee” or “protected person.” Once you have a letter of determination, you will be eligible for programs designated to protected people. In the meantime, you still have options for financing a post-secondary education. Here is an excerpt from NewYouth.ca’s article Can I apply for OSAP as a refugee?:

If you are a refugee claimant, you should refer to the scholarships listed below and also visit the financial aid office of your institution. An advisor from this office can help direct you to different funding options, such as scholarships and bursaries within the institution which you may be eligible for.

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org section for Financial Assistance for Post-Secondary Education.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link