Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

I'm moving, when can I update my ID cards? 

prasan89
prasan89

Posted On: 8/6/2020
prasan89
prasan89
Hi,

Last week, I exchanged my US driver's license for an Ontario G license and gave the address of my friend's home where I am staying till the end of the month. I am yet to apply for the Health Card. I have now signed a lease starting on August 15 for a condo.

I was confused about whether I should use the lease agreement as proof of residency and apply OHIP on the new condo address or wait for the license card to arrive, use the old address for OHIP and then change the address for both? If I use my lease agreement to apply OHIP on the new address, once I get my license card in the mailbox, will there be any issue in updating the address online for the license?

Is it okay to have the addresses different on license and OHIP, or will it be an issue? I would appreciate any guidance on the approach. I want to do the right thing.
link

Posted On: 8/31/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Within 6 days of your move, you must change the address of your driver’s license. You have 30 days to do the same with a health card. You can apply online to change an address on your driver’s licence, vehicle permit and health card or visit a Service Ontario.

It is important that your ID cards have the correct and up-to-date information. So once you have your license card, you should be able to make the change online for both or either cards.

If you have any questions or can’t access the online service, you may call the ServiceOntario INFOline:
Toll-free: 1-888-376-5197, 416-314-5518 (Toronto only)
TTY toll-free: 1-800-387-5559
Core Hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link