Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Renew PR 

Sandy Maher
Sandy Maher

Posted On: 8/11/2020
Sandy Maher
Sandy Maher
dear sir,
If my wife gets Canadian passport, can she help her husband to renew his PR
link

Posted On: 9/4/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You are eligible to renew your PR card without spousal information. Here is the eligibility criteria for PR renewal according to the IRCC guide, Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) - First application, replacement, renewal or to change gender identifier (IMM 5445):
Are you eligible?
To be eligible for a PR Card, you must:
  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • be physically present in Canada;
  • meet the residency requirement (see Appendix A – Residency obligation);
  • not be under an effective removal order;
  • not be a Canadian citizen; and
  • not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR Card
Permanent Residents outside of Canada
If you are outside Canada and do not have a valid PR Card to return, you must get a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Visa Application Centre or a Canadian visa office.

It may be best to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration issues and family law for advice regarding your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

For further reading, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?, Should I get help with my immigration application from an immigration consultant or lawyer? and Frequently Asked Questions about the Permanent Resident Card.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link